martedì 2 settembre 2008

Interview with Sarah Bereza

q)What is your name?

a)Sarah Bereza

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Brooklyn, New York

q)What is your creative process like?

a)Ideas usually come to me when I am not trying hard to find them. Something flashes in my brain, and then I spend the next two months trying to give it physicality.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Anything that is time consuming and laborious. I like getting lost in a really long project that takes a lot of repetition. I probably should have worked in a factory.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Last year I had a solo show in Brooklyn called "good girl." That is well out of my system, and now I am focusing on naughty girls. Even though I paint my friends, my paintings are for the most part some sort of self portrait.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)A month if I am really going for it. Usually two months... The frames can take a long time to make.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)I really like being able to eat and live off of making work.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)I would love to do a two-man show with Kehinde Wiley. He takes black youths from the street and sets them in renaissance paintings; I do the same with sorority girls. And I really like Dana Schutz. She is also from Michigan.


q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Through my website, and at various galleries- Jack Fischer Gallery in San Francisco, Jack the Pelican Presents in Brooklyn, DFN Gallery in Chelsea (NY), Blue Gallery in Kansas City, Woom Gallery in Birmingham, UK

q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a)Well, I always feel exposed when I put a piece out into the world, as I think they reveal dirty secrets about myself. So I guess its all out there.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a) Don't expect miracles. This is a very slow game which takes a whole lot of time to establish anything. Thats bright and sunny advice isn't it?

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Jesus. NO just kidding. Im not sure. I like the challenge, so frustration is also another way of saying problem solving.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)I am always surprised about what I come up with when I get that question. Figurative. And then I take a big gulp of my drink and change the subject.


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I went to University of Michigan School of Art, but I partied my way through college. I got serious after, and I have assisted numerous other artists in there work and have learned from them. A man named Gary Kuehn (www.garykuehn.net) has had a major influence on my work.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)Styrofoam! The kind they use to insulate houses. Its great for carving and sanding. And it takes epoxy really well.

q)Who are your influences?

a)Well, Gary Kuehn (from above), walking through the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Ingres, Rubens, Francis Bacon, Peter Blake, Christian Schad, Gustav Klimt, Egon Scheile...

q)What inspires you to create?

a)A good movie, a good book, a road trip, but for the most part working hard inspires more working.


q)…your contacts…

a) http://www.sarahbereza.com/


Nessun commento: