lunedì 15 dicembre 2008

Interview with Bjorn Calleja






q) What is your name and what do you do?

a)Bjorn Calleja... I paint... and do art...

q)When did you really get into art?

a)I always loved to draw as a kid but it got pretty serious in 2001...

q)How did you come to the realization that you should try your luck at art on a more serious level?

a)Well... at first I was just trying to enjoy the artist's life... but when you get into art, you begin to realize that it is a vocation, much like priesthood for catholics... you might not make it, but if it is your calling then it is a purpose that needs to be served... at least I enjoy it..

q)How did you discover the particular style that you have?

a)it just came to me... by influence I guess...

q)How would you describe your style?

a)It's a figurative depiction of emotions i hold inside... rendered with marshmallow palettes and drawn as best as I could... whew... that question is really hard....

q)Who or what influences your art?

a)Fairy tales... Alice in wonderland... Peter Pan and stuff like that... cartoons...
children... rainbows... clouds... stars... pretty things and bad things
mad... juxtapoz... heavy metal... filipino comics... everything

q)How often do you create a new piece?

a)I only work on paintings when I am in the mood that is usually always or when I need to make one for a show. I have a day job as a graphic designer and could only work on paintings during the wee hours when everyone else sleeps...I could stay 3 days without sleep when working on a piece then sleep the whole weekend...

q)What kind of success have you had with your art?

a)I could never consider myself successful... it still is a long road and I can't put success atop my head... i've done pretty much a number of group shows, a few with my friends at ism community in O.C.... had my first solo exhibit last September 08... nothing really big

q)What would be the ultimate goal for you and your art?

a)That people would appreciate them...and feel them...

q)What do you see as an accomplishment in the way of art?

a)Recognition would be good... shows abroad... good artist friends... it's hard to think of accomplishments especially for artists like me who are in the wrong side of the planet... the Philippines is a poor country with rich talents... the market for art here is limited only to big names and I don't think i'm one of them

q)What kind of message, if any, do you try to convey through your art?

a)My life... a lot of my art is based on myself, that way I stay genuine with it... my struggles in life and the people I meet are my subjects... I often put commentaries in my figures... but the most important message is the feeling and emotion I am reflecting towards my viewers...

q)Sum up your art in one word.

a)U-duh!

q)Any additional comments?

a)Keep growing and stay true love art as much as you love yourself and wherever your art takes you stay rooted... thanks and much love from manila, Philippines...

q)…your contacts…

a)You could check me out at www.bjorncalleja.tk,

www.multiply.com/bjorncalleja,

or email me at edelbjorn@yahoo.com

Nessun commento: