giovedì 19 febbraio 2009

Interview with Dhruvi Acharya





q) Please introduce yourself.


a)Hi I'm Dhruvi Acharya.

q) Where do you live and work?


a)Last few years I've been spending time mainly in Mumbai. Before that, it was 10 years in the US

q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a)My work is figurative but not realistic, rather it is comic book based – I find it hard to describe so if possible, do visit dhruvi.com

q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)I was extremely homesick when I first got to the USA so I began drawing and painting my memories of home. That is when I realized it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)I like paints. I started with gauche, then used oils for several years. Now I enjoy using synthetic polymer paints (acrylics) and watercolours because I can layer with them and they dry quickly.

q) What/who influences you most?


a)Life. And many other artists work.

q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a)On weekdays I send my boys to school, exercise and then work in the studio (one flight up from my residence) from 9am to 2pm. In the afternoons and evenings I spend time with my sons and work on the computer at home. From 9pm until I can stay up, I usually go back to the studio or work at home on my computer. Unless there is a big show coming up, family is priority on the weekends although I think I usually work everyday.

q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a)I want to be a better painter today than I was yesterday. Of course it would be great to show in museums I love visiting!!

q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a)I like humour in art and I like art that has a graphic quality. I realy enjoy the work of Lari Pittman, Takashi Murakami, Barry McGee, NS Harsha, Os Gemeos, Margaret Kilgallen, Julie Meheretu among others.

q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a)I set aside a month (working mom time) for a 4x4 foot canvas, during which time I also may work on a couple of 6x6inch paintings and a few watercolours.

q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)I am extremely attached to most of my works and once I started to make enough to afford to not sell everything I paint, I keep what I simply cannot part with. But often collectors give me feedback and it feels great to know my work gives others as much pleasure as the works by other arists in my collection gives me.

q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a)I always have music on when I work. I listen to various kinds of music including Nina Simone, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Simon & Garfunkle, Hindi film soundtracks, current pop singers (whoever that may be) but think Coldplay and U2 are my perpetual favourites.

q) Books?


a)I enjoy reading and am constantly reading magazines, art books and journals. I read novels only during holidays as if I start a good one during workdays I begin to shorten my studio hours.

q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)I think creativity flourishes when one spends time in the workplace everyday.

q)What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a)Spending time with my sons, reading, watching movies.

q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a)I am currently working on a large-scale digital print for the Mumbai International airport.

q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a)I subscribe to Art Forum, Art News, Art in America, Juxtapose, Art India and Gallerie. I read the New York Times online and also visit several websites from time to time. When in New York I enjoy the MOMA, PS1, the Met and the galleries in Chelsea. In Mumbai I visit the several private galleries about once a fornight.

q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)I think NIKE put it well – "Just Do It". Often some unfounded "fear" or simply being unsure stops one from doing something new, but I am slowly finding out you if just trust your instincts and give it a try, things often work out in a surprising way.

q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a) www.dhruvi.com

Nessun commento: