venerdì 8 maggio 2009

Interview with Ralph Samson





q)Please introduce yourself.


a)I am ralph. Well hello.


q) Where do you live and work?


a)In Québec city


q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a)I guess my work is made out of quite sketchy drawings... sometime it becomes paintings, sometime silk screens and sometime they just stay drawings.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)I don't consider myself an artist, I just do it for fun. I enjoy it.


q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)Pen and paper... cause you take it out of your pocket anywhere and scribble stuff whenever you feel like scribbeling I guess.


q) What/who influences you most?


a)In general... well I guess my close friends, my family and my girlfriend.


q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a)Well I don't really plan to make art.. its more something that happens in the long run.


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a)Just have fun doing it I guess. If I don't enjoy doing it then I just don't do it.


q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a)I like a lot Humanfive colletive(rip), Jason Brown, Mark Gonzales, Ed Templeton, Jon Boam, Eeshaun, Craig Atkinson, Hookenstein, P.L.A.T.S., Maxwell Loren Holyoeke, just to name a few..


q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a)Anything between a 3 minutes drawing in the bus to a 3 of months painting on something huge.


q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)Haha, it would be fun to make money out of something I enjoy doing but I don't really think about that because I would do it anyway.


q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a)Yes! Recently I've been listening a lot The Darjeeling Limited movie soundtrack and some Animal Collective.


q) Books?


a)I'm more into magazines.. National Geographic, Trasher, Skateboard Mag, Juxtapoz,... I like.


q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)No one ever asked me that question... Maybe because when you look at my stuff you don't think there is a creative process. Actually, there is one... it's just quite instant.


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a)Skateboard, watch movies, work,...


q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a)I've been spending the last 5 months working on Transit Skateboards. Can't wait to ride one of those.


q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a)I check some online «news» websites like fecal face dot com.


q) Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer, and answer it.


a)What country would you like to visit? India.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)Just do it for fun...


q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a)www.ralphsamson.com

www.transitskateboarding.com (soon)

Nessun commento: