martedì 14 luglio 2009

Interview with Daniel Sanger




q)Please introduce yourself.


a)My name is Daniel Sanger. I am a 31 year old Melbourne based artist. My works explore contemporary subjects and themes. They are predominantly figurative with much emphasis on mood and feeling. I strive to forge strong connections between work and viewer, allowing the viewer to invest their emotion within my art. I try to achieve this with such devices as the subtlety of a subject’s gaze, body language and lighting. I studied Graphic Design at Charles Sturt University and have a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design. I have also studied at Melbourne School of Art and Swinburne University.


q) Where do you live and work?


a)Live in Melbourne Australia and work as Graphic Designer and Artist


q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a)They are of a Pop Surrealist nature. Figurative, though quite stylized.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)It’s just something that is there and has always been there ever since I can remember. In a weird way I feel I owe it to the 10 year old me who wanted desperately to grow up and become a professional artist. It gives me great satisfaction and defines who I am. Ive always considered myself an artist.


q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)Oils! I love oil paint. So smooth and vibrant.


q) What/who influences you most?


a)The world around me. I'm constantly influenced by what I see on a daily basis. Also Joe Sorren. I find his works so gentle and dream like. I’m always exploring his works, finding something new each time I look at them.


q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a)Once I have the idea, I make a sketch on the canvas and start layer 1 of many. I apply thin layer upon layer until it pops .


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a)Go as far as I can with it. Would love to get picked up by an international gallery one day, though mainly it would be wonderful if I could live 100% off art profits some day.


q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a)Pop Surrealism. I find this new artist movement so bold and refreshing.


q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a)Can take from 3 weeks to 3 months. Depends on the size and complexity of the piece.


q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)In the early days I was emotionally attached, though now it gives me much satisfaction to know somebody connected with my work to such a degree they had to own it. The highest compliment.


q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a)Music is ultra important. I love many types of music. Though always find I play fast and loud tunes when beginning a work, and then slow ambient music while fussing over detail. I do love The Panics, Pixies, The Smiths, The Black Keys, the Shins - list goes on...


q) Books?


a)BIG Douglas Adams fan.


q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)Creativity is something that can't be taught. You are born with the drive and talent to create.


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a)Catching up with friends, reading and collecting ideas for future paintings!


q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a)Yes, I have a solo at Pivotal Galleries, Melbourne in Feb 2010. http://www.pivotalgalleries.com


q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a)I'm currently in an invite only art forum that keeps me up to date on a daily basis.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)If painting drives you, don't give up!


q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a) http://www.danielsanger.com

http://www.pivotalgalleries.com

http://danielsanger.blogspot.com/

Nessun commento: