lunedì 6 luglio 2009

Interview with Shan Jiang




q)Please introduce yourself.


a)I was born in 1979 in Shanghai, a south east city in China. Male.


q) Where do you live and work?


a)I spend most of my life in Shanghai. Also worked in UK for more than 4 years and may move there again next month.


q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a)Sometimes I draw some girls. You cannot see their facial clearly but they all have cat ears upon heads.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a)Of course started doodling since very young just like everyone else. Got formal sketch and art training since 14. Then I went to art vocational school, then art colleges in Shanghai and Edinburgh. But never consider I am an artist.


q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a)Pencil, ink, pen and computer. Pencil, pen and ink let me feel very free. Computer is for colouring. I can change colour anytime I want. I feel safe.


q) What/who influences you most?


a)What:Anime/Who: many people. Utagawa Kuniyoshi, E.H.Gombrich etc..


q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a)Think a concept, then think what I shall draw. I will do some rough sketch. Then I will start to find references of what I am thinking and drawing. I will make a detail mockup to represent what in mind. Then based on the mockup I will do the final art work. A typical art making day could be: Get up about 1 pm. Gather some food then go to studio. Check emails, clean the room, then look for some interest manga online so I can read it when I need to have a rest. Then I will start the process what I listed above.


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a)I don’t have so called 'goals'. I only have some ideas I want to express.


q)What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a)I like what Takashi Murakami did. Not his art works but the theory he creates, exhibitions he curated and love all the artists he found and gathered.


q)How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a)A month for one piece for a personal work


q)Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a)Yes I enjoy selling my works. Actually I gald to see people want to pay money for it. That s the way I can see that they turely like the works but not just be polite saying it's nice.


q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a)Not very relevant to my art works.


q) Books?


a)Yes. Haruki Murakami's books. I read them since I was 15 years old. Specific "All God's Children can Dance", "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" and "Midnight Spider Monkey" really inspired me.


q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a)What Gombrich wrote in his book "Art and Illusion"


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a)Many things.. like everyone else doing when they are not working.


q)Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a)I am still working on a personal project called 'moon phase'. I am doing the 8th images of the project. But I am looking for some new idea for a totally different project. Not sure yet.


q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a)I go to galleries, in London and Shanghai. I like Frame magazine and IDEA ( japanese ). Frame give me some good sense on space and perspective. For website, currently I like www.Butdoesitfloat.com.


q) Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer, and answer it.


a)

Q: What you are doing? A: Answering questions.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a)Cannot think one now.


q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a)badimage.exblog.jp ;

www.badimage.org;

and www.ilovedust.com I dont always update my site. sometimes it s better ask me to see more.

Nessun commento: