mercoledì 8 dicembre 2010

Interview with Gordon Henderson





q)Who are you? Where are you from and where do you live now?


a)My name is Gordon Henderson and I live in Los Angeles. I was born in Ohio and lived in the Cleveland area when I was a child.

q)What is it that you do? What media do you use?


a)I draw with ink and I make calendars, called the Nib Geebles calendar. I also make public appearances.

q)What do you think sets your work apart?


a)It doesn’t always make sense and perhaps people need that.

q)How long have you been showing your work for? Did you have a “big break?”


a) I have had many big breaks and I have fumbled them. But I do okay just by continuing to work. I had my first show in 1986, or maybe 1987, at San Francisco State University, where I was a student.

q)What are some things that have inspired you?


a)As a teenager I had some bad times and felt alone, that’s when I put pen to paper. I like artists like Jerome Caja, Abira Ali, George Kuchar, Irma Freeman, Captain Beefheart, Danny Nicoletta, Wallace Berman, Ed & Nancy Keinholz, the Fugs, Charles Addams, B. Kliban, R. Crumb, Kathleen Coyle and many others. I also like toys and old broken stuff.

q)What have you been working on recently?


a)This year I did my 25th annual calendar. To celebrate that I did two performances and had a party. Now that it is done I’m going back to drawing.

q)Do you listen to music while you create your work? If so, would you give some examples?


a)I listen to music all the time. Right now I like the Growlers, they’re from Costa Mesa, California. I also like Chicano Batman from Mission Viejo, CA. I listen to a variety of things, Henry Mancini, Solid Eye, John Coltrane, Alice Coltrane, Yo La Tengo, Chicha Libre.

q)Do you do work in any other media? Other projects not necessarily related to your main body of work?


a)Yes, spoken word performance and I work as a sound engineer.

q)What advice do you have for artists looking to show their work?


a)You’ll meet a lot of experts and sometimes you have to ignore what they say.

q)Do you have any upcoming exhibitions of your work that you can mention?


a)I don’t have anything planned. I’m starting new projects.


q)Where can people see more of your work on the internet?


a)http://nibgeebles.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonhenderson/

Nessun commento: