sabato 26 luglio 2008

Interview with Allan Deas

q)What is your name?

a)Allan Deas

q)Where do you live and work?

a)London, UK

q)What is your creative process like?

a)For personal work I keep sketchbooks of ideas that I can refer back to. I usually scribble down any ideas as they come into my head then transfer that into a more understandable working sketch which I can work from later. So from the sketch I usually work up a more final drawing to scale then refine that and clean it up both with pen and ink and in the computer. I like to draw all the elements of my designs seperately so I can manipulate them easier once scanned in. I then finish off my designs on the mac, composing & adding colour etc in illustrator. I suppose it's kind of like digital collage!

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)At art school I used to do a lot of printmaking that was fun and quite therapeutic but way to time consuming for illustration jobs now. Apart from that I suppose my favourite medium would just be simple black and white pen and ink.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)I don't really have one favourite subject though I do like drawing high heel shoes!!

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Depending on the piece and how long it takes me to come up with the initial ideas. Anything from a few hours to a few days.


q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Being selected for the association of illustrators 'Images 32' book.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)These have no direct influence on my work but I really like Anthony Gormly, Andy Goldsworthy, Ron Mueck, Julian Opie. I also really like photography in perticular Martin Parr, Gregory Crewdson, Andreas Gursky & Tim Walker ( even though he's technically more of a fashion photographer...)

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)l be shortly releasing limited edition giclee prints available from the shop (soon to open) on my webste. In the meantime if anyone is interested they can email me with queries. I recently did an illustration for Amelias Magazine and you can by prints of that from her website -
www.ameliasmagazine.com - Go to the shop! http://www.ameliasmagazine.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=35

There are also selected pieces available from gallery Nucleus in LA from group exhibitions I've had there

http://www.gallerynucleus.com/artist/allan_deas


q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a) I don't think so... Apart from the top secret stuff!

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a) Keep on inspiring yourself, Work hard and keep on trying even if it takes a long time to get it right. Never give up and most importantly just enjoy creating your work!

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Good music and chocolate/wine/cigarettes!!! If that fails then taking some time out to just look at something else; something inspirational like a nice book, a good exhibition or a nice movie. Sometimes just a good nights sleep helps too!


q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a) It's always hard to describe your own work but I suppose I would say it was quirky, bold, simple and slightly naive with a strong importance placed on line drawing and slightly retro or vintage feel.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I was always interested in art as a kid. I did it all through high school and then went on to do a degree in illustration and printmaking at art school. After that I spent 8 years working as a graphic designer in the fashion industry which also taught me a whole set of different skills.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)My macbook pro... we are joined at the hip!

q)Who are your influences?

a I'm really influenced by illustrators I remember when I was a kid. I really love the work of Dick Bruna, David McKee and Richard Scarry. Though I'm also inspired by 70's & 80's kids TV, vintage packaging and generally any 'eyecandy'. I'm a bit of a visual magpie and tend to have scrapbooks full of tears - anything that might spark an idea! I'm also inspired by the work of Saul Bass, Seymore Chwast, the film Yellow Submarine, Terry Giliiam's animations for Monty Python and the fashion drawings of Ozzie Clark.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)I suppose it's a driving force. I feel frustrated if I don't create - sometimes it takes me a while to get started but ultimately I suppose it's knowing at the end you will have created something that you can be proud of and enjoy showing people - seeing them enjoy or be inspired by it & thinking to yourself 'I did that!'.



q)…your contacts…

a)
www.allandeas.com

Nessun commento: