giovedì 24 luglio 2008

Interview with Justine Faye Ashbee

q)What is your name?

a)Justine Faye Ashbee

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Currently in Seattle, WA at my home studio and in the back of the gallery I co-own with my partner.

q)What is your creative process like?

a)Very organic, very intuitive. I can't have too much distraction or too much thought. I must be completely alone in order to relax, and not be conscious of what I am doing. It is more of a process of letting something reveal itself, allowing myself to let go and surrender to other energies that are very subtle. It's kind of like a secret.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Lately, pencil & gouache

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Gardening, planting and growing food

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Sometimes a few hours, sometimes days at a time. It depends on the circumstance.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Staying in one place long enough to create a body of work, become part of a community, and open a gallery with my partner.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Sarah Sze, Tara Donovan, Andy Collins, and Paul Wackers

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)From me directly, and at Pierogi 2000 Gallery in Brooklyn, and FiveTen Studio in Oakland, and at Cairo Gallery in Seattle.

q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a)Everything that exists is vibrating, and making sound on some level.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Keep working. The deeper you invest yourself, the more it shows.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Hm..necessity. I find that if I haven't been working for a while, I lose touch with my sense of self. the most frustrating times, are usually the most fortifying experiences. When the work becomes really challenging, and uncomfortable are usually times you have to relinquish concepts that you are attached to about your work. I find that those experiences of transcending the attachment to the work are liberating, and I usually end up with something totally unexpected, new, and what I could not have necessarily thought of before
I think frustration is meeting your limits, and there is a momentary battle between your ego and the unknown, and if you allow yourself to relinquish - oh I must sound so abstract right now. For me, creating is a very spiritual process.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)Line drawings. abstract organic line drawings.


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)Art school. I studied weaving and textile arts at the Rhode Island School of Design.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)Scissors

q)Who are your influences?

a)My mother. David Hockey. Brian Eno. Devendra in 2005. Arthur Russell. Sound artists.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)The ocean. The stars. Time.


Nessun commento: