mercoledì 23 luglio 2008

Interview with Marco Wagner

q)What is your name?

a)Marco Wagner

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany.

q)What is your creative process like?

a)I don't do scribbles.
When I work for magazines for example, I often start drawing or painting the rough idea
just to have an illustration that I can improve. Sitting in front of a white board or paper
makes me uninspired. I try to realize my first ideas, but during the process everything can happen.
When I work on a personal series everything is a little bit different. I spend much time in thinking,
reading and the trial and error in medias. Because it's hard for me to find a realisation that enthuses me
for about 10 or 20 illustrations and to find a technique being an improvement to my older works.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I love using different medias to put them together
in photoshop and compose illustrations,
but when I do originals, I prefer pencil on paper
or acrylic on board.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)At the moment I work on a new series for the old German childrenbook
Struwwelpeter von Dr. Heinrich Hoffmann.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Sometimes I am very fast and euphoric when something looks like I want it to look like.
In this case I can finish two pieces a day, meaning working nonstop.
But when I work for agencies or magazines for example, it takes a few days
because of the corrections and agreement with the AD.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Well, I am very proud of my achievements at the Eurpean Design Awards 2008
and the Communication Arts Illustration Competition 2008 for my Illustrations
to Grimms Rothkäppchen (Red Riding Hood).




q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Sure and to tell you all of them would last a long time..
Just to name some of them: David Hughes, Lars Henkel, Nicoletta Ceccoli, Olaf Hajek, Camilla Engman, ....

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Take a look at my online-shop
www.marcowagner.net

q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a)Puh, meaning something private? Mostly I work I wear my pyjamas.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)I am not the right man to do advices but to myself: work hard, listen to criticism, do it always with passion.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)If it is time enough, I take a break and do something completely different.
Also important is, to take a look at other artist. Often it helps me with getting
inspired when I've got a frustrating period.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)That's the hardest question. Now I asked my wife and she said: dirty, cruel and kind of end time.
Thank you, Darling.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I learned so much during my studies from my Illustration Prof Nicolai Sarafov.
For him, it was important to know so much as an illustrator so that you can make
allusions in your illustrations. And he told me to exaggerate in illustrations.
Meaning exaggerate movements, facial expression, gesture, figures, characters...
so that they are noticed exactly.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)I really love my different pencils and my Computer.

q)Who are your influences?

a)When I started getting interested in Illustration and Art
I discovered Egon Schiele, Horst Janssen, and David Hughes.
These are my earliest Influences and I love them until now.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)I really don't know.
q)…your contacts…

a) Marco Wagner
St.-Brunostr. 10
97204 Hoechberg/Würzburg
Germany

info@marcowagner.net


www.marcowagner.net

Nessun commento: